Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sketches and Scans

HellBizzle copyright Mike Mignola



Hello, long time, No Post. Been busy, scanner broke, changed jobs, went through some things, but all that matters is the ART. Been sketching my little heart out lately with my new Kuretake brush pens and having a blast using traditional media again. 

My plan was to do a bunch of these character portraits on chipboard and try to sell them at the Vermont Comic Con, or failing that, the DOPE ASS comic store that I work at.

I like the look well enough, but by far the biggest problem for me is figuring out what to charge. This one came out surprisingly fast, so charging by the hour seems weird, and I know chip-board is a terrible, garbage-grade acidic surface so they'll probably disintegrate if you look at them funny so they shouldn't be too expensive. But I did use up a ton of ink and for all I know, the next ones might take forever to draw.

 Anyway, here's some more sketches that I did when I was supposed to be working:

Rogue Pooper copyright some Stiff Upper Lip folks at 2000AD

Who those 2 guys up above are is pretty obvious, but this next guy is kind of obscure. I doodled him up on some cheap scrap paper when I was waiting for lunch with my girlfriend after reading Zander Cannon's awesome graphic novel, "HECK"

Elliot the Mummy who like sammiches copyright Zander Cannonfodder

So for both of those sketches (they are probably 3x4 inches, max) I just tried to draw really really fast with the brush pen, no pencil and no reference. I think the drills are paying off, even if I fuck up here and there with some things like Rogue Trooper's arm muscles and back pack straps, the text, etc.. Especially since they are essentially throw away drawings made simply to practice and build up my mad drawing skills.

No comments: